Bedwetting has been a common issue in older kids who have control over their bladder when they are conscious, but not during their sleep. 1 out of every 10 kids age 6 or above has bedwetting issues, although most of the kids achieve the milestone of becoming able to control their urine passage by the age of 3. In this article, we will discuss the different causes of this condition and some ways to prevent it. We will also look at some natural supplements for bedwetting that you can safely try with your kids.
What is Bedwetting?
Nocturnal enuresis or urinary incontinence, commonly known as bedwetting, is a condition that causes unintentional urine passage during sleep or during the daytime. It is more common among boys and different factors, including the child’s maturity, emotional and physical health, and development. It is a condition that is treatable and benefits from parental reassurance and support.
Causes of Bedwetting
One of the most common causes of bedwetting, usually among male kids, is that their genetics causes their urinary tract to mature later than the average age. The muscles that control the bladder simply take more time to connect with the brain. However, if the ‘accidents’ happen on an on and off basis and there are sometimes consecutive nights or long periods when the child does not wet their bed, it is most likely stress that causes it.
Other causes of bedwetting include a physical anomaly, food intolerance, urinary tract infections, diabetes, neurological problems, emotional issues, sleep patterns, pinworm infection, obstructive sleep apnea, constipation, smaller bladder volume, production of a large amount of urine during night hours, poor daytime toilet habits, and hypoglycemia. Food intolerance can be caused by tomatoes, eggs, soy, corn, wheat, milk, yogurt, butter, cheese, grape juice, pineapple, grapefruit, apple, and orange, etc. There are other food sources as well that can cause bladder irritation. Hypoglycemia is a condition that causes a child to sleep so deep that their brain is too slow to react to the need of urinating and waking them up. The other causes are rare but possible.
Prevention of Bedwetting
There are several ways parents can achieve prevention of bedwetting. The first thing they should do is to make the kid avoid any kind of liquid after they have had their supper. It is a good idea to encourage them to drink a lot of water during the day, so they do not feel too thirsty at night. Parents should try to identify the cause or causes of bedwetting, and a way to check if it is food intolerance that is causing it is to cut out the consumption of suspected foods. Dairy products, food that contains colorants, processed carbs, chocolate, and soft drinks should be avoided. If cutting out all the suspected foods make bedwetting stop, parents can then try each of the food products in turn to pinpoint the one or more that are problematic.
Including vitamins B2 and B5 in the diet also sometimes does the trick. All kinds of sprouts, spirulina, nuts that have been pre-soaked, brewer’s yeast, and bee pollen contain them in good quantities. Another thing parents can do is to limit the carbs intake, especially refined carbohydrates, and only make the kid consume whole carbs and in little quantities. It is better to be taken with an equal portion of protein. Seeds, nuts, legumes, fish, and chicken are good protein sources. Limiting carbs can help minimize the effects of hypoglycemia.
Urinating in the toilet right before going to bed, a system of rewards and sticker charts, including the child in the clean-up process, and motivating and reassuring the child are some other preventative measures that can help with doing away with bedwetting.
Natural Supplements for Bedwetting
Usually, children outgrow the condition of bedwetting on their own. However, there are several safe and natural supplements for bedwetting that parents can resort to. Pediatricians and family practice physicians can be consulted to seek medical assistance for bedwetting as well, but the need for it can be avoided if one of these natural supplements works for your child.
Jaggery is a natural sweetener, and most children love its taste. It is easily available in the market, and you can replace sugar with jaggery in sweet dishes, juices, and milk that your kid consumes or offer them a chunk of it after meals. What jaggery does is that it provides warmth to the internal organs of the kid. There are several studies that indicate that a warm body diminishes the chances of a kid wetting the bed. A regular intake of jaggery is healthy as it offers several benefits to the stomach health and is rich in iron as well.
Here are some of our top picks for jaggery:
- AVADOR USDA Certified Organic All Natural Non-GMO Jaggery Cubes 1lbs(ASIN: B08WRFPKX9)
- TAJ Kolhapuri Gur Indian Jaggery, Unrefined Raw Cane Sugar, 4.4-Pounds (2kg)(ASIN: B098W9VG6M)
- 24 Mantra Organics Jaggery Blocks 1.1 lbs(ASIN: B088D4RJK2)
Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Indian gooseberry is one of the best natural supplements for bedwetting as it diminishes the condition in more than one way. It prevents and heals constipation, shields against different kinds of infections, including urinary tract infection, and strengthens the pelvic muscles in the bladder that is responsible for controlling the passage of urine. Furthermore, Indian gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C and aids digestion as well.
You can crush a gooseberry to pulp and mix it with honey or sprinkle it with black pepper or turmeric. One tablespoon of this concoction on a daily basis will slowly but steadily heal your child of bedwetting. You can also purchase it in powder, oil, juice, or even capsule form and feed it directly to your child or add it in smoothies or salads, etc.
Here are some of our top picks for Indian Gooseberry or Amla:
- Amla Juice / Indian Gooseberry 1000 ml – USDA Certified Organic(ASIN: B007M2JSOS)
- Pride Of India- Organic Amla(Indian Gooseberry) Ground- 20 oz(567 gm) Dual Sifter Jars- Certified Pure & Vegan Gooseberry Herb- Best for Smoothies, Pickles, Chutneys & Rice- Offers Value for money(ASIN: B00VFGGQHE)
- Nutricost Organic AMLA Capsules 1000mg, 60 Servings – Certified CCOF Organic, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, 500mg Per Capsule, 120 Capsules(ASIN: B08GQ9Z728)
Apple Cider Vinegar
People use apple cider vinegar for all sorts of purposes, but it offers amazing results when used to prevent bedwetting as well. It regulates and manages the levels of acid in the stomach, reducing frequent urges to urinate. It is also effective for the prevention of urinary and stomach infections. Other than the bedwetting benefits, it offers immunity enhancement, cold and cough prevention, and supports weight loss.
You can add apple cider vinegar to salads, drink, or food or mix it with plain water. Make sure to not give it to your kids without concentrating it first, as it can give them a burning sensation in the throat, and it tastes very strong. It is also readily available in gummy and capsule form.
Here are some of our top picks for apple cider vinegar:
- Wedderspoon Apple Cider Vinegar With Monofloral Manuka Honey & The Mother, 25 fl oz(ASIN: B07DGHBC2L)
- Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar With the Mother– USDA Certified Organic – Raw, Unfiltered All Natural Ingredients, 1 Gallon(ASIN: B074JDMMNL)
- Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies – 1000mg – Formulated for Weight Loss, Energy Boost & Gut Health – Supports Digestion, Detox & Cleansing – Natural Acv Gummies W/ VIT B12, Beetroot & Pomegranate(ASIN: B084KS6TH7)
One of the most effective natural supplements for bedwetting and rich in omega acids and vitamin A, olive oil is widely used to boost brain functioning in kids. It is also a great source of enhancing the health of skin and hair. Its exterior application has proved to show great results in preventing bedwetting. It is known to start showing its effects within two weeks. It should be applied to the lower abdominal region of the kid affected by the condition. Heat up the oil and rub it in circular motions until the skin absorbs it. It heats up the bladder area and strengthens the muscles therein as well. Olive oil is also a great natural supplement for boosting immunity and enhancing digestion when consumed in a diet.
Here are some of our top picks for olive oil:
- Life Pomace Olive Oil – Sustainable %100 Pure Mediterranean Food Grade Cooking Olive Oil – 32oz Bottle – Cold Press Olive Oil for Soap Making, Hair, Massage & Moisturizer – Olive Oil for Skin(ASIN: B071HVSC93)
- Bella B Organic Olive Oil 4.5 oz – Pregnancy Stretch Mark Prevention Oil – Made with Organic Olive Oil – Maintains Skin Elasticity to Reduce Scars and Stretch Marks – Use Daily for Healthy Skin(ASIN: B07KFMBS1T)
- Figaro Pure Olive Oil Tin 1000ml / 1 Litre(ASIN: B00KJB40SS)
Cinnamon is greatly effective in preventing cold and cough and enhances the immune system. Additionally, it is one of the best natural supplements for bedwetting as it strengthens the pelvic floor muscles, providing better control to the kid over their bladder. One bark of cinnamon a day is likely to keep bedwetting away. It is not easy to convince kids to chew cinnamon, so you can grind it and mix the powder with sugar or honey and apply it on toast or mix it with a liquid.
Here are some of our top picks for cinnamon:
- Rani Cinnamon Sticks 14oz (400g) Jar Pack ~ 44-52 Sticks, 3 Inches in Length Round Cassia ~ Strong Aroma, Perfect for Baking, Cooking, All Natural | Vegan | No Colors | Gluten Friendly | NON-GMO(ASIN: B07LFK171J)
- King Arthur, Vietnamese Cinnamon, Certified Kosher, Nut-Free, 3 Ounces, 2 Count (Packaging May Vary)(ASIN: B07658Y5LB)
- Morton & Bassett Ground Cinnamon, 2.2-Ounce jar(ASIN: B00AW4YM5I)
Fennel seeds are scientifically proven to be highly effective against the problem of bedwetting. Ground or whole, they can be mixed with soy or nut milk or consumed raw. They act as natural mouth fresheners as well.
Here are some of our top picks for fennel seeds:
- Organic Fennel Seeds, 8 Ounces – Whole, Non-GMO Spice, Non-Irradiated, Vegan, Dry, Bulk, High in Dietary Fiber, Manganese, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, and Calcium. Foeniculum Vulgare(ASIN: B08GSGM8DG)
- l Frontier Co-op Fennel Seed Whole, Kosher, Non-irradiated | 1 lb. Bulk Bag | Foeniculum vulgare Mill (ASIN: B0126T69J8)
- l Simply Organic Fennel Seed, Certified Organic | 1.9 oz | Foeniculum vulgare Mill (ASIN: B00AJRKHZC)
Even if a kid is not affected by the problem of bedwetting, they can extract a number of health benefits by consuming bananas as they are rich in sodium, potassium, and several types of vitamins. Two bananas every day can fasten the digestion of food in the belly and help the kid get over the bedwetting problem. Bananas are delicious, and kids usually like eating them. You can also go for banana powder, freeze-dried bananas, or organic banana chips.
Here are some of our top picks for bananas:
- l Fresh Organic Bananas Approximately 3 Lbs 1 Bunch of 6-9 Bananas (ASIN: B00ZVIWWB6)
- l Barnana Organic Chewy Banana Bites, Original Flavor, 1.4 Ounce Bags (12 Bags Total) – Non-GMO, USDA Organic Upcycled Snack (ASIN: B00RI4O3M2)
- l Bare Baked Crunchy Banana Chips, Simply Banana, Gluten Free, 2.7 Ounce Bag, 6 Count (ASIN: B0146IM8ZG)
Our Final Thoughts
Natural supplements for bedwetting can help a great deal with reducing or preventing bedwetting. The condition is not uncommon by any means, and parents should be supportive and reassuring towards their kids who face the issue as being strict can complicate matters further. It is important for parents to have knowledge about the causes of bedwetting and look to identify the source of the problem. Other than natural supplements, there are other practices as well that can help deal with the situation in an effective manner.