Endometriosis is a special condition in which the endometrium tissue starts to grow on different organs and body parts other than the uterus. The tissue growth generates an extremely high inflammatory response from the body, resulting in excruciating pain during menstruation.
It affects almost 10 percent of the females of reproductive age. If the endometriotic cyst grows bigger than 4 cm, it needs to be removed through laparoscopic surgery.
Endometriosis does not have a proper cause or cure as of yet. In many cases, patients suffer from extremely painful cramps. However, some natural remedies help in reducing the pain. Herbal tea for endometriosis is the most common natural remedy.
Read on to find the best herbal teas for reducing the pain of menstrual cramps in endometriosis.
The 5 Best Herbal Tea for Endometriosis
Here is a list of the five best herbal teas that help alleviate the symptoms of endometriosis during menstruation:
1. Ginger Tea
Ginger tea is one of the best herbal teas to reduce endometriosis symptoms. Its effect is similar to ibuprofen; only this is a more natural solution.
Since ginger is naturally anti-inflammatory, it is perfect for those who have endometriosis. It reduces inflammation of the tissues, but it also prevents the production of prostaglandins. As a result, you experience fewer cramps and pelvic pain.
Prostaglandins are responsible for causing pelvic contractions. The contractions can become even more intense when your estrogen levels are high. But all of that will go away with a nice cup of ginger tea. If you have endometriosis, you must drink at least 4 cups a day.
Ginger tea has a strong, warming flavor and has a tinge of spice. You can also find hints of lemon in the taste.
Here are some of the best ginger teas you can find online:
- Bigelow Lemon Ginger Plus Probiotics Herbal Teabags (Amazon ASIN Number B002XWSNCA)
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Ginger Herbal Leaf Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B0009F3S7I)
- Twinings of London Lemon & Ginger Herbal Tea for Keurig (Amazon ASIN Number B019HV3IQ0)
2. Fennel Tea
Fennel tea is also a popular herbal tea for endometriosis. It is mainly used in this condition because it helps reduce period pain considerably.
Many pieces of research have been conducted on the use of fennel tea during menstruation. In one particular research, it was found that people who took fennel tea in a specific amount (30 grams) four times a day during the first three days of menstruation felt less pain than those who didn’t. Since it is an excellent pain reliever, you can use it to alleviate the symptoms of endometriosis.
Fennel tea has a strong scent and tastes a bit like licorice. It creates a soothing aroma and leaves a bitter aftertaste.
Here are some of the best fennel teas you can find online:
- Alvita Organic Fennel Herbal Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B00BGVL3AS)
- Buddha Teas Organic Fennel Seed Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B00DLJGDUI)
- Heather’s Tummy Teas Organic Fennel Tea for IBS (Amazon ASIN Number B0002UDY9W)
3. Cramp Bark
Cramp bar tea offers numerous health benefits; however, reducing period pain has made it popular. Some researchers even suggest that cramp bark tea can create an anti-spasm effect on the uterus. As a result, it helps your uterus relax, reducing the pain caused by endometriosis.
Cramp bark helps reduce cramps, whether they may be normal period cramps or associated with pregnancy or endometriosis. It has a really strong odor and a bitter taste, but it effectively eliminates pain and cramps.
Here are some of the best cramp bark teas you can find online:
- Cramp Bark Tea – Pure Herbal Tea Series by Palm Beach Herbal Tea Company (Amazon ASIN Number B07H1QSSFR)
- Cramp Bark – Viburnum Opulus L # Herba Organica # Guelder-Rose, Water Elder (Amazon ASIN Number B07K4R7M31)
- Cramp Bark (Viburnum) Tea (Loose) (Amazon ASIN Number B008X8OZBG)
4. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm tea contains antioxidants that help in lowering oxidative stress and inflammation. Some studies suggest that this herbal tea also has antispasmodic effects as well. It is perfect for reducing the severity of excruciating pain during menstruation. In mild cases, the pain might be completely eliminated.
Because of its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic effect, lemon balm is considered one of the best herbal teas for endometriosis.
The lemon balm tea is quite refreshing and has a citrus-like taste. You can taste bits of lemon with a slight ting of mint.
Here are some of the best lemon balm teas you can find online:
- Alvita Organic Lemon Balm Herbal Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B00LHZLG1E)
- Traditional Medicinals – Organic Lemon Balm Herbal Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B015OGDWAO)
- Lemon Balm Tea Organic Loose Leaves Herbal Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B09TG5RGH1)
Cinnamon is also known for reducing period pain. In one particular research, participants took 1000 grams of cinnamon for the first three days of the cycle. It resulted in reduced pain compared to the group that didn’t take anything.
Cinnamon tea has a wonderful taste and does not require any additional sweeteners. It tastes a bit sweet and spicy.
Here are some of the best cinnamon teas you can find online:
- Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea (Amazon ASIN Number B000PGQQFC)
- TAZO Herbal Tea Bags (Amazon ASIN Number B01EYCILLE)
- Celestial Seasonings Herbal Tea, Cinnamon Apple Spice (Amazon ASIN Number B000E65OII)
Our Final Thoughts
It is important to discuss the pain associated with endometriosis with your doctor. However, consuming certain herbal tea for endometriosis can considerably alleviate and manage the pain.
If you ever need help finding the perfect tea, refer to the five best herbal teas for endometriosis discussed above.