A Shelterbox is meant to provide shelter for ten people who have been affected by disaster, such as the one we’ve witnessed in Haiti.
The Shelter Box Trust puts these together using all new materials as delivered from manufacturers, at the Shelterbox warehouse based in Helston, Cornwall, UK.
The standard Shelterbox weighs 110 lbs. and has approximate dimensions 2’3″ x 1’4″ x 11″. The entire contents: (Link)
• One 49 gallon box (The Shelterbox) initially the container for delivery of the materials listed below. Once delivered, can be used as water tank, food store, cot, table, etc.
• One ten-person tent, including two fabric interior privacy partitions, outer fly-sheet and repair kit. These tents are considered ‘winter suitable’ by international relief standards.
• Vinyl insulated sleeping mats and lightweight thermal blankets. More compact than sleeping bags, these mats and blankets have multiple uses. The blanket can also be fashioned to catch water, as a tarp, etc. while the mat also serves as a ground ‘table’ for meals, or tent rugs.
• One pack of 180 water purification tablets or a water purification kit; and one 5 gallon flat-pack water container (Each tablet will purify a full container of water providing 1,800 gallons of clean drinking water which should be sufficient for a family of ten for up to three months).
• Two 2.1 gallon, collapsible, plastic water carriers.
• One collapsible trenching shovel
• Rope, 164 foot
• Repellant-treated mosquito netting
• Ten PVC Ponchos/ ten HD plastic bags
• Tool kit in canvas bag: hachet, jack-knife, screwdriver, hammer, hoe head etc.
• Multi-fueled cook stove
• Eating utensils: enamel plates/cups
• Children’s activity kit-simple school supplies, stickers and coloring book
The contents are under continuous review. A small stock of wind-up radios (short-wave and FM) has been obtained to substitute a sleeping bag in every tenth box should such a requirement arise. Boxes are sometimes packed with two 10-person tents in them, (to the exclusion of some smaller items, to maximize shelter capacity.
The organisation does stellar work, mainly through donations garnered from Rotary Clubs and community organisations worldwide. It was one of the very few non-profits that could get into and help the people of Myanmar during cyclone destruction.
ONE SHELTERBOX COSTS $1000. That includes the cost of shipping and delivering it to the recipients. We’ve kicked it off with $100. Could you help us make up the rest? It would provide a roof, basic supplies and six months of clean drinking water for ten people in Haiti. The people of Haiti need shelter NOW. Every dollar could make a difference and is tax deductible.
If you want your donation to go to Haiti, state so in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
ShelterBox USA. They also have chapters in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand which you can access at the top of that link.
Feel free to use this data for re-posting it on your blogs if you wish to. If you make a donation and mention it in the comments with the amount, or e-mail us, we can tally to see how many shelterboxes we, as a community, were able to provide.
- The Jugalbandits