This soup is chockful of of beans, lentils and veggies, making it a tasty and healthy one-pot meal. It is high in flavour and nutrients, very low in fat.
You can use any combo of veggies. Just make sure they are diced to about the same size. We used frozen peas, carrots, french beans and, lima beans. We also used fresh cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, chard and peppers, plus a potato, tomato and onion. It’s a great way to use up assorted veggies lying around in the pantry and refrigerator.
13-Bean, 11-Veggie Soup
(6 to 8 servings)
1.5 cups 13-bean soup mix
1 medium potato
1 medium tomato, chopped
3 cups diced veggies fresh or fozen
1.5 packed cups chopped swiss chard
1.5 cups packed chopped spinach
1 large onion
1 tsp. finely minced ginger
1 tsp. finely minced garlic
2 finely minced green chillies (we used Thai bird chillies, but any variety will work)
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
½ tsp. black peppercorns
2 tsps. lemon juice
1 tsp. mixed dried herbs (oregano, basil and rosmary, or 1 tablespoon fresh)
2 tsps. oil
salt (or Better than Bouillon Veggie base)
rosemary to garnish
1. Soak beans and lentils for 4 hours, rinse and boil/pressure cook with 3.5 cups water, salt, tomato and the cubed potato (we don’t skin it), until soft. (5-6 whistles in the pressure cooker, or an hour plus on the stove top depending on the type of beans in the mix)
Take 2 tbsps. of the cooked bean mixture, mash it and add it back into the pan.
2. If using fresh veggies, chop and microwave them covered for 3-4 minutes until crisp tender. If using frozen veggies, thaw them in the microwave for 2 minutes. There’s no need to precook the chard and spinach in the microwave.
3. Meanwhile, thinly slice and fry the onion in the oil along with the bay leaf, ginger and garlic until light brown, add the herbs and stir for a minute, then add it to the bean mixture along with the veggies, leafy greens and minced green chillies.
4. Check the seasoning. Cook for about 4 minutes.
5. Toast the cumin and peppercorns, powder them coarsely either in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, and add it to the soup. Add lemon juice and garnish with fresh herbs.
Filed Under: 13-bean-11-veggie-soup, Basil, Basil/Thai basil, Beans-(Dried), bell-peppers/capsicum, Broccoli, Carrot, Cauliflower, Chard - Swiss/Red/Rainbow, Lentils, Onion/Shallot, Oregano, Peas, Potato, Rosemary, Spinach, Tomato, Veg Medley, vegan recipes, vegetable, vegetarian recipes